Monday, June 30, 2014

Dr. Sandy M.B.

Hullo there. Today I have been asked to consult on an injury that Mama sustained last week while working in the garden. She says she stepped off a high step and landed on one leg and fell down. Let's see...

Mmmm... uh-huh... That is a pretty significant bruise you have there. And your leg looks rather chubby and swollen.

Let's compare... Oh yes, definitely swollen. At first I thought perhaps you had gained some weight (Mama rolls her eyes.)

Oh yes, yes... and even a bit of swelling going up the leg. I think it must definitely be a sprained ankle and a doozie at that! Possibly some torn ligament fibers as well. Tsk tsk...

Well, off to the first aid box...

Wow... sure is a lot of stuff in here... ***rummage, rummage***

Ah there it is...

A tensor bandage... that's the ticket. You want to keep an injury like that stable and try to immobilize it as much as possible.

Now... something cold, something cold...

Well, these are cold packs but not really suitable for ankle injuries. You want something that will conform to the ankle...

I could use the ever present, always dependable bag of peas but... that's not really good for the peas to go through a freeze/thaw cycle every few hours. They tend to turn into little ice cubes after a while...

Ah-hah!!! This is what I want... one of those super-duper cold gel packs.

Alright... cold pack, tensor bandage (which unravelled itself when I wasn't looking... hmmmm) and a tea towel...

You don't want the cold pack directly on the skin otherwise you will also have frostbite to deal with!

Now... the tensor bandage... they work best when they are rolled up... not unrolled!

Maybe Spooky can help?

Uh no Spooky... I said help me roll it up not... unroll it!

Sometimes good assistants are hard to find!

There we go... Now... Dr. Sandy says to stay off of your feet as much as possible, put your leg up and get your little bear to bring you hot chocolate. Maybe watch the FIFA World Cup or something. OK?

Mama!! I said stay off your feet!!! Sigh... some humans make beary bad patients!

(Note: A real doctor was consulted as well and concurred with Sandy's findings.)

10 comments:

  1. Oh dear, poor Mummy!! She's going to have a rainbow coloured foot, I think!!! Good job you know how to tie a bandage!!!
    But shouldn't that be Alexander MacKenzie MB instead of MD? You being a Medical Bear an' all.....??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes... it is already shading through a lovely colour of mulberry! I'm sure your painter's eye would be able to name the colours! And yes, it should be MB (silly Mama can't type straight!).

      Delete
  2. You did an awesome job Sandy! Are you paid in jars of honey? hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote out my bill and said I would like it paid in smoked salmon, with honey for interest on overdue amounts!

      Delete
  3. Papa would like to know if you make house calls...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do actually... but only on this side of the border. I don't have a Green Card to work in the US according to Mama sooo...

      Delete
    2. Rats! Jerry has a few scratches from thorns or brambles or something, from working in the garden. Ben seems to think that some nice lotion would sooth the scratches, but Jerry seems to think that a glass of iced tea with a plate of cookies would do the trick. Ben is very skeptical about that. What does Sandy say?

      Delete
    3. Scratches... yes, lotion is good for those... or iodine. I've not heard of the iced tea and cookies cure but... you never know... little bears are different from humans so maybe that would help! I would give it a try and see how Jerry does...

      Delete
  4. Excellent work doctor Sandy! Be sure to be extra nice to your human - some honey lemonade and cookies will help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh... I think she should be beary nice to me!! I took care of her ankle after all... I am giving her a bit of a break from taking me on grand adventures though.

      Delete